Friday, July 30, 2010

Guiding Principles Revisited

From my earlier post on my guiding principles for technology use, I realized how broad I left them and I don't think I want to change that. After this course I realize how many uses technology has in the classroom, or even how many uses one webtool has. For example, while exploring GoogleEarth, I went back and looked at blogs about it and realized how many uses you can get out of one single webtool. In my principles I stated that I would constantly look for new ways to use "old" technology and I think my new findings with GoogleEarth was an example of that. My peers also introduced me to sites I now can't wait to use in class like Glogster and Prezi.

The one principle I thought about changing was on knowledge, that I would do my best to fully understand the technology before using it in the classroom. Now I see that it's pretty hard to understand everything there is to know about certain websites or tools online. Even now I probably don't know all of what my new class wiki page can do, but I'm still going to use it in class. I think I will keep it the same, but add that I will never stop trying to learn more about the technology I use. Apps and websites update all the time and if I'm going to be using them to their fullest potential inside the classroom, then I too need to stay up to date with the changing technology.

Therefore this was my one and only change to my guiding principles and I have included them below. My goal will be that that my teaching will always reflect these principles. I sincerely believe I will be making more of an effort to incorporate the meaningful use of technology in my classroom and I am excited to do so. I think this class has changed my teaching by helping me think about all the tools I use in the class and whether or not I'm using them in the most powerful way possible. I have also reexamined how I want my students to see technology in the classroom. I don't ever want them to think they are just using a computer to fill their 20 minute "center time." I want the students too to realize the breadth of technology and the uses they will have for it in the class and in their lifetime.

My guiding principles for using technology:

1. Creativity: I will be creative and I will not be afraid to explore new uses for technology to inspire my students to do the same. I will constantly look for new ways to use "old" technology through peers, workshops, trainings, classes, and the
Internet.

2.
Safety: I will teach safe practices for using technology for educational or personal use.

3. Knowledge: I will do my best to fully understand the technology before using it in the classroom so my students can truly benefit from its use.
I will also do my best to stay up to date with changing technology so that I am always using it to its fullest potential. I will also not be ashamed of having to make mistakes or having to learn from my students and accept their help when it comes to technology in the classroom.

4. Use: When I use technology in the classroom, I will use it to benefit the students and expand their learning. I will not simply use it because its there.

No comments:

Post a Comment