Saturday, July 3, 2010

Create a graph


I have loved Create a Graph from the moment I used it for another course. One of our state standards in mathematics is on graphing and students always struggle. The site is user friendly and lets students pick the type of graph (we study line and bar, so I focused on those two), plug in the different parts of the graph and then preview and change accordingly. I also like that you can save it or print it right then. One tool I would use with my students is changing the format of the graph, but keeping the data the same. For students to really analyze and understand what a graph is showing, they need to start by creating their own and seeing what goes in to each section. For example, we teach the different parts of a graph: title, y-axis, x-axis, labels, etc. If a child is using this site, they will plug in the names for the title, the y-axis, the x-axis, the minimum and maximum values, and much more, so they really are analyzing their data and how they want to graph it.

2 comments:

  1. Is this createagraph.com? How cool! This would be a fun tool for all ages. I teach 4th grade and I could definately use this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that when students create their own graphs by hand with pencil and graph paper, they have a difficult time with min and max values. This allows them to learn which range is appropriate for what they are graphing. They can revise quickly without all that erasing or starting over.

    ReplyDelete