Thursday, July 8, 2010

Google Earth- Love it!

Not that this was my first time using Google Earth, but a great reminder that I LOVE it! The laptop I'm using now didn't have it downloaded, so when I went to the site I found all these other links I didn't know of yet. Google SketchUp allows you to sketch any 3-model of your choice, whether it's a building, a monument, your classroom, or a skate park. It reminded me of when I was in 4th grade (and I still believe they do this) we had to create a 3-d model of a mission in California (as it originally was). Another model we had to make was of a goldmining tool that could actually be used to mine gold. Not that I would have traded those hands-on experiences for the world, but creating it on Google SketchUp might allow these same kinds of designs to a greater degree. Here in Virginia there is, of course, an abundance of historical sites and monuments that could be recreated. Even if you don't have the time or want your kids to make the 3-d models, there is a collection of Sketch-up's on Google 3-d Warehouse. So rather than spending time creating, you can search through and show students examples of architecture you are discussing in class. I also like the idea of the students creating a 3-d model of their town, but I don't where I could use this in our curriculum. Cool idea though!
I also found this blog on how students can track the Tour de France cyclists. You can see their exact location in real time as well as their cadence, power, speed, and heart rate. Having just completed a unit on speed, velocity and acceleration in the World of Motion course, I thought this was an awesome real-world example you could get students excited about.

4 comments:

  1. I love your idea of tracking the Tour de France cyclist to study speed, power, and acceleration. Such a great real world example. Taking it to the next level, you could actually try to simulate the recorded measurements from the tour riders in your own classroom. I think the kids would be absolutely amazed at some of the output values these bikers are producing. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love your idea of tracking the Tour de France! Wow...how exciting for students. This could be integrated with math and history?! I teach 4th graders so I would have to simplify it quite a bit, but they would really enjoy this. I am a huge fan of google earth! I'm working on creating an online web hunt for my students to use it with. Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thanks for sharing this! I too have been using Google Earth since it came into existence, but I didn't know of these features you mentioned. I have to get going on fiddling with these new features!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Tour de France connection w/ a unit on motion is awesome!

    ReplyDelete