Friday, July 16, 2010

Diigo vs. Del.icio.us

I first started my research on these two by downloading and using the Del.icio.us toolbar before going into Diigo. I thought of how useful Del.icio.us would be because I have my home laptop, my husband's laptop which I sometimes work on and then my school computer, not to mention the school computers in the lab. Needless to say, my work is never confined to one computer, so I could definitely see the use in accessing your bookmarks from anywhere. Then I went to Diigo though and realized how much better, in my opinion, this site was. It seems there are a lot more tools to use on Diigo, especially for a classroom where students could access it. Being able to highlight, take snapshots of a page, make comments with sticky notes seem much more useful for research projects or helping students to access only what you really want them to. So many times you may find a page or a site that has info you want to show your students, but only some of it is relevant. With fourth graders, you really have to focus them in on what's important, plus I don't want them wasting time trying to find what I want to direct their attention to. I also like how my team could all access and add bookmarks (which I guess would be the same with Diigo or Del.icio.us). Just a simpler way of sharing links and ideas rather than emailing links all the time!

3 comments:

  1. I started by using Diigo and liked it so much that I did not play around with Delicious anymore. So, great to hear it is a better tool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great and helpful tool to organize all of your files on the internet instead of saving them to a drive and carrying that back and forth to all computers is www.getdropbox.com. Check it out...I'm just getting started on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too like diigo. I've used the highlighting and it really helps. I hate reading through something over and over trying to find what I originally was interested in! I still have to remember to use it though! Same with google docs. I found myself emailing docs to myself yesterday and remembered after...duh! Old habits die hard, and I'm still trying to get organized with all this new "stuff". :)

    ReplyDelete